Here’s how to permanently disable Windows 10 updates – One feature that is not optimal in Windows 10 is the automatic Windows updates or the way the operating system handles updates. Published updates are automatically installed when Windows decides to update.
Many users prefer to turn off Windows Update in Windows 10. The general reason is that they are being bothered by the way Windows 10 automatic update works, as the device often reboots at the wrong time and under the wrong conditions. In addition, a large update file size will consume your bandwidth or quota.
It should be noted that canceling and deactivating automatic updates under Windows 10 for a longer period of time is certainly not the aim. Because automatic updates contain important functions that are necessary for important security and stability improvements on your device.
How to turn off Windows 10 updates
Here are four easy ways you can try to permanently disable and disable Windows 10 Automatic Windows 10 updates that run continuously, which apply to Windows 10 Pro, Home, and Enterprise.
1. Disable Windows 10 update through the service
Here are the steps to turn off Windows 10 updates through the service:
- Run the Run command (Windows + R). Type services.msc and press Enter.
- Select Windows Update from the specification of services.
- Change the Startup Type option from Automatic to Disabled person.
- Then restart your computer.
If you want to turn automatic updating back on, you can simply change the option from Disable to Automatic.
2. Disable Windows 10 Update with metered connection
If you normally use Wi-Fi on Windows to connect to the Internet, you can set up a metered connection to prevent updates on Windows 10. With a metered connection, you can limit the bandwidth Windows can use to download and install updates automatically.
How to disable Windows 10 updates with Metered Connection:
- Open the Windows settings (Win + I).
- Click the section Network & Internet.
- Choose WiFi and select the WiFi you normally connect to Manage known networks.
- Select Properties and enable the option Set as measured connection.
Microsoft only offers this option if you are using a WiFi connection. If you are connected to the Internet with a LAN cable, you cannot set up a Metered Connection.
3. How to disable the Windows 10 update with the group policy editor
The next way to turn off automatic updates is to set the Group Policy Editor if you’re using the Windows 10 Education, Pro, or Enterprise editions. Unfortunately, the feature to stop this update is not available for Windows 10 Home Edition users.
If you choose this option, security updates will still be installed automatically. With other update features, you will be notified when there is an update and can install it as you wish.
Currently, Microsoft wants Windows 10 beginners to have no problems updating, but is ignoring the flexibility for more experienced users.
To stop Windows 10 automatic updates using Group Policy:
- Run the Run command (Win + R). then type gpedit.msc and press Enter to open the ggroup policy editor.
- on Computer configuration Please select Administrative templates.
- Select next Windows components then Windows Update.
- Please click on Configure automatic updates.
- Change the Not Configured option to Deactivate then click OK.
- Finally, restart your computer to complete the ggroup policy editor update.
4. Disabling Windows 10 Update using the Win Update Stop application
Win Update Stop is an application used to enable and disable updates on Windows 10. It is quite simple and easy to use, the Win Update Stop application is only about 1.7MB in size.
Here are the steps to turn off Windows 10 automatic update using Win Update Stop software:
- Download from the link below.
- Install and open the Win Update Stop application as you normally would.
- click Deactivate to disable Windows Update.
To turn Windows Update back on, just select the Activate button and the status will change to Windows Update are activated.
Causes of disabling automatic updating in Windows 10?
Updates to the operating system, drivers, and applications can often cause unexpected problems with your computer. One way to protect your device from unexpected problems is to back up your data before installing updates for your Windows.
Downloading Windows updates without your consent will consume bandwidth. After that, the boot process takes a long time due to the Windows update installation process. This will of course take a long time, especially for those of you who do multiple tasks.
So there really is a logical reason to turn off automatic updates on Windows 10. While automatic updates can be a problem, leaving your Windows behind for important updates can also leave your computer vulnerable to security and lagging behind with the latest features.
The last word
That was the article on how to permanently disable Windows 10 updates, how easy is it? Well that is all for this article, good luck and hopefully useful. If steps to turn off Windows 10 automatic updates are not clear, please comment below.